`
Home | Off the Press | News for youth | Media | Get In Touch |

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

To childhood!



When I was 9, I couldn’t wait to get to the two digit numbers! When I got to 10..I could hardly wait to be a teenager….when I was 13,I was always saying…’when I grow up’….to me this was accomplished when you get your ID at 18.At 18,I was shocked that some clubs still wanted me to be older…21 and above to be precise!!!!Long story short…when I was younger, I couldn’t wait to be older…now that am OLDER…hehe…I wonder what the hurry was for! I am still trying to figure out when life got so complicated…
I am not complaining about my life. Believe me, I am a lucky girl! Have some of my not so great days but many of those you can play over and over and still grin sheepishly from ear to ear. For some reason I cannot remember what influenced me to think older folks had it easier and their lives all figured out. Maybe it’s because they did not have to get stuck with tones of homework or face Mr.Odla or other mean teachers DAILY!!!(Especially if you’re in boarding school and these mean teachers insist they are your parents for the term!)Well now that am ‘older’ I guess Kids are the ones who have it figured out and not adults….hear me out before you click and curse!

Do you remember your favorite food or snack while you were a child? May have had several but I remember colored rings. My friends and I would wear them on all fingers and chew away coloring our tongues in the process. This was the accepted way to eat rings in private or in public! We did not really mind what the folks said…most times they let us be! Or in the playfield;We all knew who and who were friends and would therefore be in one team and who were enemies and therefore better and safer to have them in opposing teams. It was no big deal to make clear who your friends and foes alike were! Children have no clue on the art of pretend! Wherever I learnt this art…am considering unlearning it!!!

So you see, kids know exactly what it is they like or dislike, they will not pretend even with some parental figure breathing down their neck. What you see is pretty much what you get in public or in private. How many adults can say the same thing? How many times do we pretend to like something just because of some absurd reasoning…last weekend’s paper gave young ladies crap advise to like(or pretend)stuff your boyfriend likes!!!Even if I like the bloke, I don’t see myself pretending to like football for those 90 long minutes!

I think we all know the importance of being tolerant however why blur this with pretentious behavior? Its funny how this same adults hammered in us the importance of honesty, but its looks like when you get to ‘adulthood’ (whenever this starts) you’re allowed to lie or tell that little-not really a lie kinda lie!!!!So when did life get so complicated????

 Do let me know when you figure that one out!!!Till then am re-learning my childhood ways. Less complex and messy don’t you think?

2 comments:

  1. OOhh the coloured rings I still park them for my daughter when heading to school. You just read my mind. I equally do not know when life got so complicated. How I became a parent, how A B C D became locus standi, cause of action etc. Life really is complicated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Mercyline....miss you..well lets grow back down and unlearn those ways...

      Delete